He said, “coiffed.” HA HA!
UPDATE: The Smoking Gun comes through with the footage.
Looks like Liz Phair is getting ready to release…something. I’ve had the chance to hear some of what may make up the new album and it’s really quite good. And no, I’m not going to post anything.
Someone else did way better than I could do.
I love Michael Moore. I think I’ll just let his letter speak for itself.
George W. Bush
1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
Dear Governor Bush:
So today is what you call “the moment of truth,” the day that “France and the rest of world have to show their cards on the table.” I’m glad to hear that this day has finally arrived. Because, I gotta tell ya, having survived 440 days of your lying and conniving, I wasn’t sure if I could take much more. So I’m glad to hear that today is Truth Day, ’cause I got a few truths I would like to share with you:
1. There is virtually NO ONE in America (talk radio nutters and Fox News aside) who is gung-ho to go to war. Trust me on this one.
Walk out of the White House and on to any street in America and try to find five people who are PASSIONATE about wanting to kill Iraqis. YOU WON’T FIND THEM! Why? ‘Cause NO Iraqis have ever come here and killed any of us! No Iraqi has even threatened to do that. You see, this is how we average Americans think: If a certain so-and-so is not perceived as a threat to our lives, then, believe it or not, we don’t want to kill him! Funny how that works! …
2. The majority of Americans — the ones who never elected you — are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction. We now that the real issues are that affect our daily lives — and none of them begin with I or end in Q.
Here’s what threatens us: two and a half million jobs lost since you took office, the stock market having become a cruel joke, no one knowing if their retirement funds are going to be there, gas now costs almost two dollars — the list goes on and on. Bombing Iraq will not make any of this go away. Only you need to go away for things to improve.
3. As Bill Maher said last week, how bad do you have to suck to lose a popularity contest with Saddam Hussein? The whole world is against you, Mr. Bush. Count your fellow Americans among them.
4. The Pope has said this war is wrong, that it is a SIN. The Pope! But even worse, the Dixie Chicks have now come out against you! How bad does it have to get before you realize that you are an army of one on this war? Of course, this is a war you personally won’t have to fight. Just like when you went AWOL while the poor were shipped to Vietnam in your place.
5. Of the 535 members of Congress, only ONE (Sen. Johnson of South Dakota) has an enlisted son or daughter in the armed forces! If you really want to stand up for America, please send your twin daughters over to Kuwait right now and let them don their chemical warfare suits. And let’s see every member of Congress with a child of military age also sacrifice their kids for this war effort. What’s that you say? You don’t THINK so? Well, hey, guess what — we don’t think so either!
6. Finally, we love France. Yes, they have pulled some royal screw-ups. Yes, some of them can be pretty damn annoying. But have you forgotten we wouldn’t even have this country known as America if it weren’t for the French? That it was their help in the Revolutionary War that won it for us? That our greatest thinkers and founding fathers — Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, etc. — spent many years in Paris where they refined the concepts that lead to our Declaration of Independence and our Constitution? That it was France who gave us our Statue of Liberty, a Frenchman who built the Chevrolet, and a pair of French brothers who invented the movies? And now they are doing what only a good friend can do — tell you the truth about yourself, straight, no b.s. Quit pissing on the French and thank them for getting it right for once. You know, you really should have traveled more (like once) before you took over. Your ignorance of the world has not only made you look stupid, it has painted you into a corner you can’t get out of.
Well, cheer up — there IS good news. If you do go through with this war, more than likely it will be over soon because I’m guessing there aren’t a lot of Iraqis willing to lay down their lives to protect Saddam Hussein. After you “win” the war, you will enjoy a huge bump in the popularity polls as everyone loves a winner — and who doesn’t like to see a good ass-whoopin’ every now and then (especially when it ‘s some third world ass!). So try your best to ride this victory all the way to next year’s election. Of course, that’s still a long ways away, so we’ll all get to have a good hardy-har-har while we watch the economy sink even further down the toilet!
But, hey, who knows — maybe you’ll find Osama a few days before the election! See, start thinking like THAT! Keep hope alive! Kill Iraqis — they got our oil!!
In case you hadn’t noticed, I haven’t said much about the war, our President or anything in the political realm. It’s not because I haven’t had anything to say. I just haven’t formulated it all yet, but there are a lot of other people that have. Here’s one of my favorites from today. It comes from Jim Brown of Bluebird fame.
Buckle your shoes, cause that mother fucker is coming after you too. Sick the way they make you watch em’ take their way. Make their decisions long ago, before we even knew there was a choice they told us to go sit back down, nothing for you to do over here or anywhere we decide to go. Yeah, they are the ones that built the railroad, cut your town in two, run those tribes down into the ground. You got no choice so they say, but they spread themselves thin and the day will come when something will give. Yeah, something is gonna give. we’re building an under ground army, Are you enlisted. You know you can sign even through your mind. Every time you say, “Fuck You,” there is a formless force that is being built. But if you give in to the helplessness and complacency they advance and take more ground. You are not alone, we are here, we can take back what has been taken, each person is a sovereign nation. Retaliate through your chosen means, we have the power, we can impeach, we can defeat the guns through a non violent means, of coarse people will die, but we will all be at the finish line some day. Before you go don’t you want to make a change? Because changes are a comin’ which way do you want them to go, speak up !! Let us know !! your family is in Baghdad, your life is being pawned. Decide in your mind where you drawn the line, don’t be afraid, there’s a new day comin’ our way. enlist in the peoples army, The war has always been here, now it is just a little more clear, a little more near. Know who your friends are, who are your allies? Write me back , stay in contact, speak to me I need all of you, we will move while we are learning what to do. We don’t take orders, but we have a mission. We will decide as we go. We are making the road as we go, help me help you. Liberation declaration, land and life are sacred.
We Are Building An Underground Army
So, as it turns out this thing has come full-circle. When I started Jeans And A T-Shirt, it was because I wanted to separate the personal stuff from the music stuff. I had all these ideas that Jeans And A T-Shirt was going to be this fantastic online music magazine (that also had some other commentary). I guess that’s what it was, but instead of just shutting it down, I’ve changed it back to its original incarnation. Mixing the music with the personal seems like the right thing to do. Frankly, it will be more personal than what you are used to. I’m still working on things, so enjoy some stuff you may have never read before and visit often (or not). Thanks to everyone for the support and words of encouragement. The guest list will be back up soon. I need to get some rest and stuff. Peace be with you all.
They’ve announced a tour to support their exceptional debut album, Give Up. Here are the dates:
04.04 San Diego, CA @ The Casbah
04.05 Tucson, AZ @ Solar Culture
04.07 Austin TX @ The Mercury
04.08 Dallas, TX @ Gypsy Tea Room
04.09 Fayetteville, AR @ JR’s Lightbulb Club
04.10 St. Louis, MO @ Rocket Bar
04.11 Nashville, TN @ Slow Bar
04.12 Atlanta, GA @ The Earl
04.13 Orlando, FL @ The Social
04.14 Carrboro, NC @ Go! Rehearsal
04.15 Washington, DC @ Black Cat
04.17 Philadelphia, PA @ North Star Bar
04.18 Brooklyn, NY @ Northsix
04.19 New York NY @ Bowery Ballroom
04.20 Cambridge MA @ Middle East
04.22 Detroit MI @ Magic Stick
04.23 Chicago IL @ Abbey Pub
04.24 Milwaukee, WI @ Wehr Hall
04.25 Minneapolis, MN @ 7th Street Entry
04.26 Omaha, NE @ Sokol Underground
04.27 Denver, CO @ Bluebird Theater
04.28 Salt Lake City, UT @ Urban Lounge
05.01 Seattle, WA @ Crocodile Cafe
05.02 Portland, OR @ The Blackbird
05.03 Los Gatos, CA @ Los Gatos Outhouse
05.04 San Francisco, CA @ Bottom of the Hill
05.05 Los Angeles, CA @ The Echo